Foreclosure Prevention


Citizen Action offers free in-person foreclosure counseling for low- and moderate-income New Jersey homeowners who are struggling financially and are at risk of foreclosure (Note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all housing counseling services are currently being provided remotely). All of NJCA’s housing counselors are certified by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and NeighborWorks America. Counseling services are available in English and Spanish.

If you are having trouble with your mortgage, NJCA’s experienced counselors will work with you to identify the causes and possible solutions to your financial issues. Our counselors will help you communicate and negotiate with your lender or servicer, determine if you are eligible for any state or federal foreclosure assistance programs, help you apply for assistance, and make sure you understand all of the options that are available to you.

Over 37,000 individuals and families have participated in NJCA’s housing counseling program since it first began in 1992. In the last year alone, Citizen Action counseled more than 1,000 homeowners facing foreclosure. Often, when homeowners are facing foreclosure, they have to use something like a equity release calculator to find out how much value they can release from their home. However, as one of the NJ Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency’s approved counseling agencies, we helped distressed homeowners at risk of foreclosure obtain more than $45 million in assistance through the NJ HomeSaver, NJ HomeKeeper, and other programs. In addition to foreclosure prevention counseling, NJCA offers general credit counseling and first-time homebuyer counseling.

If you are having difficulty paying your mortgage, contact Citizen Action as soon as possible. After you complete an application for counseling, your application will be processed and one of NJCA’s Loan Counselors will contact you to set up an appointment.

Part of the foreclosure counseling process will include an evaluation of your current mortgage and an in-depth look at your financial situation, including all household income and expenses. You will need to provide your counselor with proof of income, bank statements, income tax returns, information about your current mortgage and property taxes, and more.

Note: Please bring copies of all the following documents to your first session

  1. Copies of your complete Tax Returns for the last two tax years (signed & dated)
  2. Copies of all W-2 and/ or 1099 forms for last two tax years
  3. Copies of your most recent pay stubs covering a one month period.
  4. Copy of your year to date Profit & Loss – If self employed
  5. Copies of complete bank statements showing all activity for the past 2 months on all accounts, all pages (checking, saving, money market, etc.).
  6. Most recent utility bills (electric, trash, gas, water, cable, phone, internet, cell)
  7. Complete copy of discharge bankruptcy and explanation letter – If applicable
  8. Copy of divorce decree – If applicable
  9. Copy of a recent tri-merge merchant credit report OR check or money order for $25.00 for each client to pull credit report.
  10. Identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.
  11. Copies of the original mortgage documents: mortgage, deed, note, adjustable rate note, amortization table, balloon note, interest only if applicable, etc.
  12. Copy of foreclosure notice (Complaint of Foreclosure, etc) any letters sent by the lender.
  13. If you have a two or more family house please bring copies of rental agreements (leases)
  14. Copy of last mortgage statement
  15. Copy of past due letter from mortgage company

NJCA is a HUD-certified housing counseling agency. All of our counselors have received HUD’s Housing Counseling Certification, and are also certified by NeighborWorks America. Citizen Action has adopted the National Industry Standards for Homeownership Education and Counseling. NJCA is not an approved Credit Counseling Agency or a provider of an approved Personal Financial Management Instructional Course by the Executive Office for United States Trustees.

HOW TO APPLY (English & Español)

To sign up for NJCA’s free first-time homebuyer or foreclosure counseling services:

  1. Access our secure online application and submit it directly online (English);
  2. Call 1-800-NJ-OWNER [1-800-656-9637] to have a copy of the application mailed to you;
  3. Print out a copy of the application and mail or fax it to:

NJCA Loan Counseling Service
625 Broad Street, Suite 270
Newark, NJ 07102
Fax: (973) 643-8100

NJCA’s online application has SSL and Data Encryption security features.

On the ENGLISH APPLICATION FORM, the first question will ask you what type of counseling you need. This application form may be completed and submitted online, or printed and faxed or mailed to our office. Please keep a copy of your completed application for your records.

The SPANISH APPLICATION FORM must be printed out, completed, and scanned/emailed, faxed, or mailed back to our office. Once your application is received by NJCA, our Intake Coordinator will process the application and forward it to your assigned loan counselor.

For more information, or if you have any questions, please email our Office Administrator at We look forward to working with you!

Special thanks to our Sponsors and Partners: New Jersey Citizen Action would not be able to provide these free services to individuals and families without the help of our sponsors and partners:

Bank of America
Capital One Bank
Cathay Bank
Citibank, N.A.
County of Essex
Housing & Community Development Network of NJ
HSBC Bank, N.A.
Investors Bank
M&T Bank
New Jersey Citizen Action Education Fund
PNC Bank, N.A.
Roselle Savings Bank
RSI Bank
Santander Bank, N.A.
Sterling National Bank
TD Bank, N.A.
The Provident Bank
Union County Savings Bank
U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)
Valley Bank
Victoria Foundation
Wells Fargo Bank