Housing discrimination usually goes unnoticed until someone has be personally victimized. NJCAEF strives to prevent discrimination from occurring by educating the general public to identify and respond to housing discrimination when it happens.
Fair Housing Testing
NJCAEF is a HUD designated fair housing investigation agency. Testing is an investigation tool used to determine whether or not a person looking for housing is being discriminated against because of their race, color, familial status, disability, national origin, religion, sex or other protected class under federal and state fair housing laws.
For example, testing is used to determine if a landlord is telling families with young children that no apartments are available while telling a family with no children that apartments are available.
How Testing Works
NJCAEF trains “testers” to pose as a person seeking housing or a housing-related service. For example, to test for national origin discrimination, a Latino tester would be sent to a site, followed by a white tester. NJCAEF then compares the two testers experience at the site and how the testers were treated. This investigative tool can help reveal whether illegal housing discrimination is occurring.
Fight Housing Discrimination. Become a Fair Housing Tester!
NJCAEF is hiring Fair Housing Testers to help make sure people are not being denied housing because of their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability or familial status. We are hiring a diverse group of testers to investigate housing discrimination throughout New Jersey.
- Be capable of following instructions and be objective and observant on a test
- Have excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Have no affiliation with any entity engaged in the listing, renting, selling, financing or insuring of real estate property
- Never have been terminated from a position because of fraud or dishonesty
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Have reliable transportation to travel to and from testing sites
- Have access to e-mail and a personal cell phone
For more information about becoming a fair housing tester, email your resume to email@example.com