Our HUD-Certified Housing Counseling Service provides free one-on-one counseling in English and Spanish to low- and moderate-income first-time homebuyers seeking to purchase a home in New Jersey, along with providing foreclosure prevention counseling for homeowners who are struggling financially and are at risk of foreclosure. While our counseling services are typically provided in person, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all services are currently being provided remotely.
Over 40,000 individuals and families have participated in our housing counseling program since it first began in 1992 and obtained its HUD Certification in 1995. Since this time, more than 16,000 individuals have purchased homes through our program. Our housing counseling services include:
- Pre-purchase counseling for first-time homebuyers
- Foreclosure Prevention Counseling
- General credit and budget counseling
- Home improvement counseling for homeowners
- Predatory lending counseling for victims of fraud, and
- Rental Counseling
All of our housing counselors have received the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)’s Housing Counseling Certification, and are certified by NeighborWorks America.
We follow all guidelines set forth by HUD in its Housing Counseling Handbook Section 7610.1 Counseling services are available in English and Spanish.
In addition to our counseling services, we continue to advocate for policies and assistance to provide relief to New Jersey homeowners facing foreclosure. We are one of a few approved counseling agencies currently participating in the Foreclosure Mediation Assistance Program (FMAP) thru NJ Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency. To date, our counselors have helped troubled homeowners obtain more than $40 million in assistance through the state’s foreclosure prevention assistance programs.
To Apply (English & Español):
- Access our secure online application here and submit it directly online
- (English & Spanish) Call 1-800-NJ-OWNER [1-800-656-9637] to have a copy of the application mailed to you
- (Spanish) Print out a copy of the application here and mail or fax it to: NJCA HUD Certified Counseling Service, 625 Broad Street, Suite 270 Newark, NJ 07102 Fax: (973) 643-8100
If you have any questions, please contact: Intake Coordinator (973) 643-8800 x 210 or email at email@example.com
Note: We are not an approved Credit Counseling Agency or a provider of an approved Personal Financial Management Instructional Course by the Executive Office for the United States Trustee Program.